Tuesday, May 26, 2009

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL

Okay, I know it's not politically correct for teachers to be crowing about the last day of school finally arriving - but I am! The past couple of weeks has been very trying - meaning I have about one shredded nerve left. We have spent far too much time doing nothing. Grades were cut off about ten days ago, and since then, it has been a battle just keeping the kids from swinging from the light fixtures. I am vowing to teach right up to the last day next year. I MEAN IT! So if your child comes home the day before school is out next year and announces that he or she has homework, too bad. I'm not going to grade it either, but I won't tell the kids that.

Seriously, there has to be a way to keep the kids occupied the last couple of weeks of school without everyone losing their minds. We have shown movies, played games, given extra recess, cleaned and packed the room , had picnics, track and field, gone for ice-cream, you name it, and students think that is all this time of year is for. I have to disagree. Some fun is fun. But not two weeks' worth!

Anyway, this is turning into a rant, and I'm not letting it. I am just happy that we are getting out of school. I have all kinds of plans for the summer, and I guess I should start a list so I will keep myself on track!

1 comment:

  1. Hip-Hip-Hooray indeed!!!!! I totally understand. Finding even one teachable moment is probably impossible!

    If you get a chance, hop over to my ANIMAL TALK blog. I posted a piece that my niece wrote...her name is Janet too...my namesake!

    At any rate, Janet was/is the ideal student. When Janet was barely 15 (a hs junior because she skipped a grade) she was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a deadly bone cancer.

    To make matters worse, her love was running. She was a nationally ranked athlete and training for the olympics. The cancer was in her knee. Long story short, instead of amputating her leg, the did limb salvaging surgery. She'll never run again, but at least she can walk.

    She spent a year in the hospital with horrible horribe chemotherapy. Now she's 18, and just finished her first year of college with a 4.0.

    I'm so proud of her and blessed by the inspiration of her courage. I save everything she writes and wanted to share.

    Janet has bone scans every three months. So far, everything's okay....

    ReplyDelete